Are you interested in organising an event for your community? Then why not consider organising a Community Games!
Community Games provide a great opportunity for you to bring your community together to take part in sporting and cultural activities inspired by, and in celebration of, the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
A Community Games event must include both sporting and cultural activities, and some sort of ceremony, this could be an opening or closing ceremony, or could just be a welcome speech, it is entirely up to you. Your event could involve an element of competition; or it could focus simply on getting people participating in sports or cultural activities they might never have tried before.
The important thing is that each event will be shaped by those involved and be about what that community wants to do.
Your community could be your street, your estate, colleagues at work, a 'friends of' group from your local park, your children's school the list goes on. You could, in fact, form a new community.
If you want to organise a Community Games, you will have access to the following support:
- The biggest help to you will probably be the Community Games toolkit, which you'll find on the website. It contains loads of useful information and tips for organising an event. The answers to many of the detailed questions that you'll probably have when you start to think about organising an event can all be found in the toolkit.
- We've also got free workshops on how to organise and promote your Games, where you'll be able to meet other people planning their Games and share ideas with them.
- We'll be keeping you up-to-date with an e-newsletter every so often with information and news on what's happening across the region.
- We'll help you promote your Games by giving you a page on the web site.
- And our designers have produced some eye-catching posters for you to personalise and use to help promote your Games.
- Then there's the local members of the West Midlands Community Games Team who will be on hand to advise and help you to bring your ideas to life.
Black Country Community Games Fund NOW OPEN
The Black Country Community Games Fund is available to support local voluntary and community groups with a turnover of less than £150,000 per year who are staging events in the Black Country areas of Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton only. All events must take place by 31st August 2013.
If you are interested in organising a Community Games event, or would just like more information, please go to www.communitygames.org.uk where you can find out more and register your interest.
Alternatively, for more information on organising Community Games events in the Black Country, please contact Joanne Taylor - 01384 471139
I need funding, what do I do?
A funding guide has been developed to inform Communities and Community Games organisers about the national and local funding streams available which they can apply for to help plan, organise and deliver a Community Games event. The guide has been split into the following sections;
· National Funding streams
· CSP area funding streams
To download this guide, click here