"The Black Country is characterised by low business numbers and low levels of start ups. Businesses need enhanced access to quality advice and support to assist them become more competitive through being increasingly knowledge-led".
1. To develop a clear set of actions for business support resulting in an agreed and integrated support framework to better
serve the needs of businesses and to avoid duplicating effort in Business Development. This integrated model of support
will address the needs and requirements of;
× Black Country Strategic Companies (Top 200 BC HQ businesses)
× BC Based businesses with a turnover > £1m (c 1,000 businesses)
× Small and medium sized businesses (c32, 000 businesses)
2. To develop greater understanding of sector requirements and growth opportunities through the development of clear
economic action plans for each of its priority sectors.
a. Advanced Manufacturing
b. Building Technologies
c. Transport Technologies including Aerospace
d. Business Services
e. Environmental Technologies
3. To maximise the benefits of public sector procurement for local businesses via a combined Business to Business and
Local Authority Procurement Portal under the banner of 'Find it in the Black Country'.
4. To build knowledge and understanding of the benefit and location of identifiable Business 'Park' communities, the models
of engagement locally and an Action Plan for on going listening and responding to business needs.
5. To develop a clear action plan for each of its Visitor Economy priority areas.
BCLEP Board Lead: Vicki Wilkes
The Black Country Economic Assessment identifies transformational sectors for the Black Country. This is a turning point in developing a significant and robust Economic Action Plan as it clearly identifies and sets out our transformational sectors, strategic companies for economic growth, and our enabling sectors to underpin an holistic economy.
The focus moving forward will be to capture greater intelligence and create aligned and integrated investment plans to develop the wealth and prosperity and sustainability of companies and skills.